With each New Year come new resolutions; eating healthy, working out, breaking a bad habit. This year, we challenge you to resolve, not only to improve yourself, but also to improve your plumbing. A few simple tricks can beat just about any clog, and a little bit of regular maintenance can extend the lifetime of your plumbing. Check out our tips and tricks below to protect your pipes, and ring in a happy New Year!
DIY: Clogged drain
- Pour boiling water & salt to break up clog.
- Pour Baking Soda & Vinegar down at the same time.
- Try to hook the clog with a drain snake, or a metal clothes hanger (straightened out).
- If all else fails, use the plunger, even on a sink or tub.
DIY: Prevent Clogs
- Pour vinegar down drain.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Flush with hot water.
- Toss in a lemon wedge if the broken up clogs are creating an unpleasant odor.
DIY: Preventative Maintenance
- Regularly check hoses and fixtures for leaks
- Know where meters and shut-off valves are located, in case of an overflow.
- Regularly cleanse drains and pipes to prevent clogs from ever forming.
Don’t forget – diy maintenance is cheap, and calling a professional to fix a problem that’s been building for years will cost you dearly.Â So make the right choice this year – for yourself, your household, and your wallet! Call Atomic Plumbing in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Norfolk, Virginia.