As grease, fats, soaps and detergents build up in the pipes, they act as magnets for food particles and scrapings. That build up can quickly transform from a slowly draining sink to a raging kitchen flood. If you notice your drain is moving slower than usual that can be a bad sign, or an opportunity to catch the problem early. Atomic Plumbing can handle all your general pipe cleaning needs as well.
It is always better to keep your pipes and drains clean and well-maintained on a regular basis, in order to avoid a big back up. Here are a few tips:
- Never wash away grease or fat
- Keep an old coffee tin or empty glass jar handy
- Never wash away coffee grounds
- Install a screen or drain grate to prevent food scraps, hair or even engagement rings from clogging your sink
- Run hot water through your drain after each use to keep things neat inside your pipes
- Toss in a spoonful of baking soda and run more hot water through
- Pour in a cupful of vinegar, let it work for half an hour, then flush with hot water
- For some serious preventative maintenance, try transforming your sink into a science project:
- Flush with hot water
- Sprinkle in a half-cup of baking soda, wait five minutes
- Add a cup of vinegar and enjoy the bubbly, frothy explosion
- Rinse one final time with boiling hot water
Areas of Service
Atomic Plumbing serves Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and all Hampton Roads offering high quality plumbing and drain cleaning services. We offer emergency services to all our customers, providing fast drain cleaning, toilet repair, pipe repair, and other plumbing services.
Have a plumbing question? Fill up the “Ask A Question” form to get a fast response from a professional plumber.